Monday, February 24, 2014

Lasagna is best made in a new oven

So everyone knows I cook EVERYTHING in my toaster oven.  I always did because our oven was electric and just seemed to leave a funny taste on everything we made in it.  Well this weekend our microwave broke and when I sent Scott to buy a new one he came home with an over the range convection microwave oven.  It was huge (see photo below, with the broken one to compare it to)!!!!
It couldn't stay on the table so he went to work installing it above the stove.  While doing so the entire base of the stove collapsed when he tried to move it.  That was it, he had had it with that stove.  Out of the kitchen and to the basement it went and off to the store I went in search for my new oven.  My only requirements were that it had to be black and gas, besides that basic is all I need and I found just that. 
 Now I just couldn't wait to cook away, I baked about 6 dozen of Scott's favorite Banana m&m cookies (secret recipe) in the convection oven and lasagna in the actual oven.  
Now the cookie recipe is top secret but here is how I made the lasagna:

INGREDIENTS 
1 box lasagna noodles
1.5 lbs hamburg, 80/20
1 jar Barilla tomato Basil spaghetti sauce
1 can diced tomatoes with basil and oregano
1/2 a sweet onion, chopped
1/2 a red pepper, chopped
2 cloves of garlic. thinly sliced
1 lg container of ricotta
Mozzarella cheese, shredded
Parmesan Romano cheese, grated
1 tbsp basil
1 tbsp oregano

-First bring a large pot of water to a boil and add your noodles until cooked. Rinse with cool water and toss with EVOO, set aside.
-While the water is coming to a boil and the noodles are cooking prepare your sauce.
-Cook hamburg in a pan until no longer pink.  Drain and set aside.
-Add the sauce and can of tomatoes to a sauce pan and simmer while you saute the veggies.
-Add a tbsp of EVOO, the garlic, pepper and onion to a small skillet and saute.  Add a splash or two of red wine, as well as the basil and oregano and saute until slightly soft.
-Add the veggies to the pan of sauce, remove from heat and combine with hamburg.
-Next we need to assemble the lasagna by layering first the pasta, then the meat sauce, the ricotta, mozzarella and repeat twice or until desired height, ending with the sauce on the top.  Sprinkle with the parmesan romano mix as well as more mozzarella.
-Bake at 350 for 45 minutes.
-Let rest about 15 minutes and serve with bread and your favorite red wine! ENJOY!

Now it was so good I completely forgot to take a picture before it was all gone, we did have my parents over to share it with us and they both loved it as well. i;m sure I will be making it again and will remember to take the picture then.  Although I never had problems with just a Weber grill and a toaster oven, this will make life that much easier! 

No comments:

Post a Comment