Thursday, January 23, 2014

Do It Yourself: Custom Headboard

I typically only blog about food but last weekend I finally decided to complete my headboard, and just had to show you how easy it is.  I have always wanted an upholstered headboard but there are so many styles, fabrics, and patterns to choose from.....the possibilities are countless.  A few weeks back I finally came across the below fabric (it is actually a curtain) and loved it.  It combined all of the colors involved in our bedroom. 


Materials:
Plywood or Drywall
Fabric
Staple Gun
Scissors
2 - 2x4

 I had Scott work on the frame.  He actually had some drywall hanging around so we decided to use that.  I sketched out a design and he cut it out so I could get to work!


I began by cutting two pieces of batting the length and width of the drywall.  One at a time, lay them flat on the floor and staple along edges.  Be sure to pull tight so that it will be flat and not bumpy.  I stated with the top, then the bottom, followed by the sides and lastly the curves at the top.  Repeat with the second piece of batting.


Before attaching the fabric, cut the 2x4 (if needed) to fit across the length of your headboard, about 12 inches below the top.  You can use the same size or a smaller one to add to the bottom just to balance the headboard against the wall once you hang it (see below). Screw these in from the front.


Be sure that your fabric is wrinkle free before attaching.  Lay the fabric flat on the floor and attach in the same manner as the batting.  If you are using a pattern (especially is there are stripes of any kind) you want to make sure that the fabric is straight as well.  Attach the ring hangers to the top 2x4 (make sure to measure where you will hang it before attaching hangers, you want to make sure you have stud where it will attach to the wall) and you are ready to hang it up on the wall!


Normally upholstered headboards can end up costing you 100's even 1000's of dollars depending on style, company and fabric choices.  By doing it yourself, this only cost me a little under $20, not including the items I already had hanging around!  By doing it this way it it also makes it very easy to remove and change the fabric when you feel like you need a change, Happy Crafting! 

No comments:

Post a Comment