Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Sauteed Squash - Farmer's Market

This time of year one of my favorite things to do is to go to the local Farmer's Market that is held every Sunday on the lawn of Fairhaven High School. All the produce is locally grown and extremely fresh and flavorful. This week I came across Zucchini Balls that I just had to try.  I also grabbed a couple summer squash to go with them.
I decided to saute them on the stove while my husband was busy on the grill cooking our citrus marinated chicken tenderloins. I began by slicing the squashes and heating about 3 tablespoons of oil on the oven.  Next I added the squash to the heated oil and added 2 tablespoons of Italian seasoning and salt and pepper to taste. I covered and let simmer for roughly 10 to 15 minutes checking frequently.  I then added two tablespoons of margarine and continued to cook covered for about another 10 minutes. 
You do not want to over cook the squash as it will just turn to mush.  This is why cooking time can vary depending how thickly you cut the slices, so always keep a close eye on it while cooking. We now have the perfect veggie to add to our citrus marinated chicken and garlic mashed potatoes! 
As always, ENJOY!




No comments:

Post a Comment