Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Apple Pie

I bought a tote of apples last week and had about 10 left so I needed to do something with them.  What better than to make a delicious apple pie (served with vanilla ice cream of course)! I once again turned to my Betty Crocker cookbook since she must have the best recipe, right?!? Well as it turns out I was right and here is what you will need to find out for yourself:

6-8 medium apples, peeled and sliced (I used macoun)
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup flour
1.5 tablespoons cinnamon
1.5 tablespoons nutmeg
Pinch of salt
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 tablespoons water
1.5 tablespoons sugar
Pie crust (I use the pre-made since I don't have time to make it from scratch when I bake at 8pm all the time, it tastes great and you really can't tell a difference)

First line your pie plate with one of the pie crusts.  
Next mix the sugar, flour and spices in a bowl. Add your sliced apples and toss.  Place apple mixture into the pie plate and top with your butter pieces.
 I chose to cut out apple shapes in my top crust but all you need to do is put a couple slits in the center to vent. Place the crust on top, crimping the edges along the pie plate. Brush the top with water ans sprinkle with sugar.  
 Before placing it in the oven wrap the edges of the pie with tin foil to prevent the sides from burning (you will want to remove the foil about 15 minutes before it is done). 
 Bake in a 425 degree oven for about 40 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool on a wire rack for at least an hour and then serve warm topped with vanilla ice cream! 
Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. This looks delicious - I want to try it! Thanks for posting this & happy fall!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI, I made this pie and are you sure that 1.5 Tablespoons Cinnamon and 1.5 Tablespoons of Nutmeg and not Teaspoons? The cinnamon and nutmeg was way too much... please let me know and thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I used tablespoons since I like a lot of flavor. Nutmeg is one of my favorite parts of apple pie, you can always cut the spices down if you don't like strong spices.

      Delete