Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Farmer Market Finds: The Husk Tomato

After work this evening I headed to the local Farmer's Market in Mattapoisett, Ma.  I love fresh sweet corn and it is getting to the end of the season in New England so it was a must to grab a few ears.  While I was there I came across a carton of Husk Tomatoes! I love these little fruits.  These come out in late summer and are also known as Ground Cherries, Dwarf Cape Gooseberries or Strawberry Tomatoes. As you see below they have a papery looking husk that reminds me of a paper Chinese lantern!

 The main purpose of the husk is to be able to tell them apart from a poisonous form that do not have a husk.  Once peeled from their husk you will find a small fruit inside about the size of a grape.  The flavor is one you will have to taste for yourself but I would have to say it is a cross between a cherry tomato and some type of sweet fruit, I can say one thing, Delish!
I have bought these a few times now and never seem to actually cook with them nor add them to a salad.  They are just so good on their own we always end up eating them before I can even think of what to do with them!

No comments:

Post a Comment