Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Fried Coconut Shrimp and Mashed Butternut Squash

So tonight we both felt like seafood, as you can't eat chicken and pork EVERY night!  I picked up some shrimp and coconut on my way home and couldn't help but grab a delicious butternut squash as I walked by the veggies! This is one of my favorite veggies but it is sad as it means Fall is fastly approaching.  I like to prep all my ingredients before I begin.  In one bowl I mix 3/4 cup of beer with one egg, in the next flour and in the last coconut.  I also have peeled my shrimp (about 30) and removed their tails as well as cut up my squash to get it boiling in the prepared water. 


I first coat the shrimp in the beer mixture, then the flour, beer mixture again and finally the coconut before setting aside on a cookie sheet.  Once done place in the fridge for about 20 minutes while you heat your vegetable oil on the stove.  Once the oil reaches about 350 degrees it is time to throw in the shrimp!  I do it in 2 to 3 batches and place on a plate lines in paper towels to help absorb some excess oil. 

Once the squash is fully boiled and soft (about half an hour) drain and return to the pan.  I use a potato masher to mash the squash and add 1/3 cup of packed brown sugar, 3 tablespoons of margarine and salt and pepper to taste!  Lastly it's time to place everything on a plate and.......
ENJOY!


No comments:

Post a Comment