Thursday, January 24, 2013

Minestrone Soup

There is nothing like a big bowl of hot soup on a cold winters day, and lately it has been colder than COLD! My boss gave me a recipe for minestrone soup last week.  I normally don't eat it but know that my husband loves it so I gave it a try.  Yes, I actually gave it a try and I LOVED it! Who would have thought?!?!  I did change a few things, left some things out and added another and everyone who tried it said it was the best they have ever had. So here is what you will need and how you make it:

1/4 cup EVOO
5 cloves garlic crushed 
Saute in a large stockpot for 5 minutes
1 medium sweet onion chopped
1lb carrots sliced
6 stalks of celery
1/3 each red, yellow, Orange peppers squared
 
Add the above and saute for 10 minutes
1/2 lb French style frozen green beans
Add the beans to the mix and saute 5 minutes

8 cups low fat low sodium chicken broth
1 large can Italian plum tomatoes
1 small can diced tomatoes with green chillies
1/2 cup dried parsley
1 tablespoon basil
Salt and pepper to taste
Add the above and bring to a boil, reduce to simmer and cover for 35 minutes
1 can red kidney beans drained and rinsed
1 can chick peas drained and rinsed
Add and raise heat to high and simmer 10 minutes
Serve topped with  Parmesan cheese and pumpernickel rye swirl bread is great on the side for dunking!
ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment